WONDERFUL way to help U.S. soldiers in Iraq!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: comm-518895295@craigslist.org
Date: 2007-12-24, 10:05PM PST

BEFORE YOU FLAG THIS (for whatever reason, I don't know), PLEASE THINK AGAIN . . . . I fought in the Desert Storm war, under horrible conditions and with great sacrifice, to protect YOUR freedom of speech and expression; please do not deny me the same. This is a very simple request for assistance in getting PRE-purchased items in care packages to our U.S. Soldiers in Iraq . . . .
* * * PLEASE NOTE: This is NOT a "holiday scam" or plea for money to line my own pockets so take just a moment to read on!!! It is a totally LEGITIMATE request from a local "Good Samaritan"/ Navy veteran (yes, I'm a real person with an email address, phone number, and home address) who simply wants to boost the morale of some U.S. soliders in Iraq and I need some assistance to do it.* * * So please read on . . . .

For the holidays, I wanted to reach out to the U.S. soliders stationed in Iraq and send a few of them some special care packages containing specific items they've requested, via email postings, on the website AnySoldier.com. I chose the names of (4) soldiers stationed out of Ft. Lewis in WA and used the last $100 in my savings account to purchase as many of their requested items as I could - mostly healthy snack items and toiletries (from Wal-Mart and some Dollar Stores so I could stretch the money as far as it would go).

Unfortunately, I was not able to send the items in time to arrive as Christmas gifts but they can be sent anytime now and here's where I'm asking for YOUR assistance . . .

I am currently unemployed and have been since moving to Portland this past September. Although I'm actively job searching and living on savings, I do not collect any financial assistance whatsoever. I'm just on a VERY tight budget until I have an income again. (I actually went over my budget by almost $50 already by shipping two care packages of Christmas decorations that the soldiers requested and I hate to see these things just sit here in my apt. but I'm absolutely tapped out financially).

* * * AGAIN, I want to make it clear that I DO NOT WANT ANYONE'S MONEY AND AM NOT ASKING FOR THAT - WHAT I NEED HELP WITH IS SHIPPING THE BOXES TO THE SOLDIERS AND YOU CAN HELP BY PAYING FOR THE POSTAGE WITHOUT EVER SENDING ANY MONEY ANYWHERE!* * *

Here's how this would work:

1. You contact me via email and let me know you'd like to "sponsor a box"

2. You then meet me at a local post office and I'll have the box with me

3. You are absolutely welcome to see what I've packed and could even enclose your own letter to the soldiers because, after all, you are helping to get the care package to them

4. We seal the box, take it to the counter, and you pay the shipping (based on weight and each box will probably cost between $15-$25 to go to an military PO Box in NY or SF, CA.) --- you don't even have to tell me your name and can be as anonymous as you'd like. Payment preference is cash simply b/c I don't want to worry about bounced checks, denied credit cards, etc. after the box(es) have been sent.

THAT'S IT! No money changes hands with anyone but you and the postal clerk and you have the satisfaction of knowing that you've helped make a HUGE difference in the lives of a few soldiers! So PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE consider helping me with this project.

If it puts you at ease, I've provided photos below of the items I've purchased/collected and am happy to provide you with personal references of those who know me and can vouche for my character and the legitimacy of this request. I REALLY AM JUST A "GOOD SAMARITAN" trying to help a few people with what little extra money I had available for the holidays. I'm new to the area and don't have family nearby to reach out to; it's just me.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME AND WILLINGNESS TO HELP IN THIS EFFORT - for the soldiers' sake!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

Jennifer :-)

P.S. Below is some photos of what I purchased, per the soldiers' requests (FOOD: powdered drink mixes, trail mixes, pretzles, teabags, spices/seasonings, popcorn, powdered coffee creamers, canned tunafish, energy bars, dried fruits, canned goods. TOILETRIES: shaving cream, sanitary products, toothpaste, toothbrushes, dish soap, hand/body lotion, baby powder, bar soap, body wash)

Not pictured: 96 pkgs "Top Ramen" noodles, coffee mugs, metal utensils, plastic tumblers, and plastic food containers.